Re: Shrew -Not suppose to live here

  • Subject: Re: Shrew -Not suppose to live here
  • From: Laurie Frazer <lauriefr@localnet.com>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 18:55:49 -0500

On Apr 17, 2007, at 12:07 PM, Linda Smith wrote:

I have found several of these.  I understand they eat bugs. They are not a rodent. Does anyone know these?.

Shrews are common in my neck of the woods. They are voracious and vicious little carnivores. In my old house, I had all types of rodents—mice, squirrels, rats, bats. I also had the occasional shrew that would come in on the firewood. I made a habit of live trapping and relocating the rodents, esp. mice, until I realized that shrews were slipping into the traps, killing and eating the poor trapped mice, and then departing the traps at will. Wiley, nasty little creatures. With their long snouts and rooting behavior, they could easily lift the trap door and run back out.

After I witnessed such an escape, I decided I really didn't want these grisly killing machines in my house, so I devised a way to capture them. Shrews are extremely bold and have little fear of humans or anything else, so they were happy to enter baited traps with me sitting alongside. As soon as one ran in, I blocked the door opening with a solid object so that the shrew couldn't escape. Then, of course, I carried the trap outside and released the shrew.

I have no such unwelcome visitors in my current house, and I can't say I miss them. Shrews, in particular, are too aggressive and bloodthirsty for my comfort. Sure, they look cuddly enough. But then, we all know that looks can be deceiving.

I doubt if they'd have any reason to bother irises, though.

Shadowood - http://lfrazer.com
The Irises of Shadowood - http://lfrazer.com/iris/
Wallplates With Panache - http://lfrazer.com/wallplates/