Re: Moving Iris ???

  • Subject: Re: Moving Iris ???
  • From: "J. Griffin Crump" <jgcrump@cox.net>
  • Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 10:44:40 -0500

Sheri  --  When I need to move an iris at an odd time of year, I dig the whole root ball and either move the plant to a new garden or pot it until time to do so.  I commonly do this if I have to move an iris that has a seed pod on it, but it can also be done when bloom is impending.  The trick is to get the root ball intact  --  not have half the dirt fall off the roots  --  and not to damage too many of the growing ends of the roots.  Using either a shovel or a spade, depending on how close the plant is to others, I first sink the blade into the ground on four sides of the plant deep enough to encompass the roots and far enough away from the base of the plant not to cut the roots.  To avoid breaking the root ball when extracting the blade (and this is the point of biggest risk), I take one or two precautions:  If the earth is sticky clay, I dip the shovel blade in a bucket of water before sinking it in the ground.  It makes the blade just a little slippery and the going smoother.  Before extracting the blade, I put either my foot or my hand firmly on the ground between the base of the plant and the blade, then pull it out slowly.  If the earth around the plant is solid, I can often just lift the plant out on the shovel after making the fourth cut.  Or, to be more cautious, after levering the plant partway out of the ground, take the whole rootball in your hands and place it where you want it.  Moved in this way, your plant will perform as if nothing has happened.   --  Griff

P.S.  It helps to have the new hole dug or the pot lined with some soft soil before you dig the plant.