Re: interesting seedling

  • Subject: Re: interesting seedling
  • From: "irischap" <irischapman@aim.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 03:27:28 -0000

Withour seeing a photo of pod paarent or L12, I'll have to just do
some speculating as to what is going on genetically. It definetly is a
variation on broken colour. I have seen this sort of patterning on
"transposon" controlled pattern on flowers in other species.
Transposon, or jumping gene, is the cutting out of a piece of genetic
code and having it transposed to another area of the gene, and by so
doing changes the production of pigment and causes the irregular
paterning. There are certain codon sequences on the gene which are
target areas for this transfer. (codons are sections of genetic code,
but not large enought to be genes)

The transposons, in flowers, are often acting in pairs, a Activator
code (Ac) and a Disociative code (Ds). The Ac gene can move by itself,
but the Ds gene can only move if it has an Ac code section connected
with it. Occasaionally these Ac genes can move to another gene or area
of the gene, and thus change function. This appears to be what has
occured here.

With this flower, there apears to be two transposons acting
independently of each other. There are spots of anthocyanin, but
streaks of white in yellow ground.

The shape and pattern of the splotches are controlled by the frequency
of the first jump and the frequency of the return jump (restoring base
function of the gene) When the frequency of the return to restoration
of the gene function is high, the splothes are small, and nay even be
like freckles. When the frequency of the returning jump is low, you
have streaks. The frequency of the initial (disfunctional jumping)
determines the number of spots, freckles or splashes you have.

So, what seems to have happened is that transposon Ac or the Ac-Ds
pair have move to another gene, in this case I suspect it to be on one
of the anthocyanin production genes. It very well may be completely
independent of the plcata locus in that case. To test if it is
independent of the plicata locus you will need to cross it with a
non-anthocyanin flower (white, pink, yellow etc) but not any old
non-anthocyanin, but one that is non-anthocyanin as a result of
recessive reduction of anythocyanin, not from a dominant "I" gene.
Some of Barry Blyth non-anthocyanin plants are of this type. If anyone
whants to know why this particular combination is necessary, just ask

I hope this explaination is clear, and not just confusing.

Chuck Chapman

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "orders at Sutton's" <orders@...>
wrote:

> First time I have seen this pattern....Border beard at 22" with
small flowers, grows well, 8 buds. (I've got rhythm x L-12) X Quantum
Leap. Not sure how to classify it... broken color space age dotted
thingy.
> Mike Sutton

__._,_.___
Recent Activity