CULT: relatively undamaged seedlings

  • Subject: CULT: relatively undamaged seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 11:22:40 -0400

Didn't want to leave the wrong impression - just showed the last two
photos so those of you trying to keep the injured alive would be on the
alert for crumpled leaves and also help keep up hope for survival.

Here are two examples of seedlings the same age as those in the last two
photos, but from stronger crosses.

The photo of the cross with less damage of the two is from two seedlings
selected here, not surprisingly able to hold up ok to this kind of
shock: (IMMORTALITY x CELEBRATION SONG) X ((DUSKY CHALLENGER x GRAPE
ICE) x RINGO))

The other is: IMM X SHARPSHOOTER.

Because my primary goal is plants that can do well in these kinds of
freezes (hopefully not <quite> this bad!!), I won't worry too much about
cutting or pulling off rotting leaves, especially on these young
seedlings. If they live, they get to stay here for another year, in
spite of being cold sensitive. If they can't recover enough to grow
well, or all of siblings from that cross are equally sensitive, I will
toss the whole cross & make room for stronger things.

In the earlier photos "signs of life", some of the siblings in that
cross look as good as these, so I won't tear out the frozen ones yet.
But they are going to have to exhibit exceptional recuperative powers to
convince me to use them for breeding purposes, no matter how beautiful
the stalks and blooms, and certainly never would consider introducing
one of them.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

__._,_.___