TB: growing under mulch

  • Subject: TB: growing under mulch
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 11:31:26 -0500

This rhizome got dropped under the trees when I was doing some replanting
and giving some rhizomes away. Turns out it is ARIZONA REDHEAD, Shepard
'98. Where it's growing, it ended up being buried under about an 8" cover
of shredded oak leaves and other yard debris. The dogs like to lay around
in this area so I don't have much growing here, but I just left this plant
alone. Of all the iris last year, this one withstood the heat and drought
the best. The planted clump of AR will not bloom this year, but this stray
rhizome is. It benefited greatly from the mulch and oak shade. I don't
normally mulch bearded iris, but I can make a case for it if the conditions
are like they have been here the last several years. This one did not
receive any supplemental water.

The flatbed trailer doesn't make for an attractive backdrop. I use it for a
workbench for all sorts of things, but mainly to cut up the treated posts
seen around a lot of the iris beds. Have to have it close to an electrical
outlet to use the electric chainsaw. Likely to be seen in the background
for the foreseeable future.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA