Re: Picture size

  • Subject: Re: Picture size
  • From: John I Jones <jijones@usjoneses.com>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 08:50:13 -0700

DPI is Dots Per Inch

JPG  or JPEG

JPEG (pronounced JAY-peg) is a commonly used standard method of compression for photographic images. The name JPEG stands for Joint Photographic Experts Group, the name of the committee who created the standard.

What program do you have for manipulating picture files? There are many that you can use. I think there is one built into Windows XP but I can't think of it at the moment (my expertise on Windows is limited) Perhaps someone else can point it out and comment on whether it is available on Windows Home Edition or only on Windows XP Pro.

You would use a program like that to crop the picture to only the part that you wanted (e.g., just the flower), reset the DPI to 72dpi so that it is more compatible with computer displays, and resize it to a better screen size (e.g., 4 X 6)

Otherwise as an interim solution:

I have Windows XP Pro on one of my machines (my other is a Mac).

If you are running XP, look in My Documents for My Pictures. If you find it, put one of your pictures into that folder (drag and drop).

Open the My Pictures folder. Click once on the picture you want to send.

In the left hand menu panel under File and Folder tasks, click on "E-mail this file"

In the window that opens (titled "Send Pictures Via E-Mail"), click on "Show more options".

Under "Make my pictures this size" select Small, then click OK