Re: AB: sdlg clumps

  • Subject: Re: AB: sdlg clumps
  • From: "donald" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 02:03:34 -0000

I guess for me retro simply means that the overall look is one that
is similar to irises from a few dacades back. Can be several things -
somewhat strappy form, narrow at the shoulders, even a certain type
of haft marking, not much ruffling. Often one or more of these are
combined with a lack of substance. Some of these seedlings have an
older TB as one parent, so they come by the look naturally. Doesn't
seem to me to eliminate them from being worked with. Half the genes
in balanced chromosome set ABs are TB or other non-aril bearded
genes. If you take any random sample of those ABs used a lot to
produce the newest ABs and trace them back to the TB ancestors,
chances are pretty good you'll end up tracing the TB genes to plants
from C.G. White's intros. Unknown names and several decades back.
So a lot can be accomplished without the latest, greatest. I'm
interested in what TB genes, or other non-aril bearded genes, can
contribute to plant growth. At some point selection should keep the
blooms in the AB category. I'm just not that far along.