CULT: "Pineappling"

  • Subject: CULT: "Pineappling"
  • From: Adam Cordes <adambo_iris@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 10:27:52 -0700 (PDT)

Someone was asking about the phenomenon known as "pineappling" this past week.  In the photo I have attached (if I attached correctly!) you can see the clump coming in to bloom has two different types of leaves growing.

On the outside edges of the clump, the fans are normal, with normal leaves.   But on the inside of the clump, the leaves are quite puckered together, causing them to look like a bromeliad, or have a "pineapple" appearance.

The gardener I was with when we were observing this occurance informed me that the pineapple effect is not deadly to the iris.  She mentioned that sometimes if the puckered leaves are seen early enough in the season, that they could be cut out of the rhizome and thus possibly prevent other attached fans to react the same way.

One of my earliest clumps of iris was BEVERLY SILLS.  I threw out the whole clump because it pineappled on me.  I dismissed it that it was a "pink" and thus not very hardy in my climate. . . .

Hope this answers some questions.

Region 6
Zone 4 (and a half . . . )

Do You Yahoo!?