Re: MED: CLOWN PANTS

  • Subject: Re: MED: CLOWN PANTS
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 03:55:49 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Donald,
Thanks for the photo and information. It's great to
hear that CLOWN PANTS is doing so well for you. I knew
it was a tough cookie around here, but I wasn't so
sure how it would take a climate like Texas.
As for the height, it varies a lot. Some years here,
when it decides to bloom later, it's grown well into
MTB/IB/BB height range, but then sometimes it stays
pretty short, more like SDB height. I don't know if
I've ever seen it bloom that short (7") though. I
wasn't sure what class it would fit into best, so I
registered it as a SPECIES-X. I'll include the vital
statistics from its registration, below.
And with all those fans, I'd be on the lookout for
repeat stalks. The repeat blooming offspring I've
gotten from CLOWN PANTS have typical fall rebloom, but
CLOWN PANTS itself behaves differently. About half of
the years here, it'll send up more flowerstalks right
after the first ones have finished.
Thanks again for the feedback!
Best wishes, Tom
CLOWN PANTS

(Thomas Silvers, R. 2004) SPEC-X, 23" (58 cm), E & RE

Standards pale yellow (RHS 5B), speckles on claw;
style arms pale yellow (5C); F. pale yellow ground
overlaid with purplish haft striping blending into
burgundy (187A) on lower half of fall, rimmed pale
yellow; beards yellow orange (15A), end slightly
lighter, hairs tipped purplish; slight fragrance. Iris
variegata (Beardsley clone) X Iris suaveolens var.
mellita. Introduced by Iris City Gardens in 2006.