HYB: Varda Gorge (Iris reichenbachiana).....correction

  • Subject: HYB: Varda Gorge (Iris reichenbachiana).....correction
  • From: Elmsterj@aol.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:02:30 EDT

Thomas and all,
    The iris that Thomas pictured and is talking about is actually the species I. reichenbachii (correct spelling).  (Not to be confused with I. rosenbachiana.)  There actually have been 2 different clones kicking around.  The first is the regular I. reichenbachii, which is diploid.  This new clone that Thomas pictures, which I purchased from Lowell Baumunk, is also I. reichenbachii, but this clone was collected in the Varda Gorge of Greece and is tetraploid.  It is still just I. reichenbachii and is not named, so the name actually should read I. reichenbachii ex. Varda Gorge (the "ex" meaning "from").