CULT: Pineapple Effect of Iris

  • Subject: CULT: Pineapple Effect of Iris
  • From: Cordesview <cordesview@m33access.com>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:19:50 -0400

Hello everyone.

Here is what pineappleing looks like.

In This photo:  My Hand is used as a background for you to see how the leaves of this fan swirl to look like a bromeliad, or "pineapple" top.  It doesn't affect the rhizome below it, nor does it affect the whole clump.  Not all fans will pineapple at the same time, (but I have had my whole two year old clump of BEVERLY SILLS do it, and then died after the rough winter that ensued that year.)  NOTE:  the hole in the whorl is not an iris borer hole!  It was a peck-mark left from my Guinea Fowl when they went through the garden this morning during their "rounds."  :-)

This photo above shows how only one fan in this clump is "partially pineappled".
These two photos above are sibling seedlings from a cross of SAMBUCA X CELEBRATION SONG.

pineappling

This photo was taken at Francelle Edwards' garden in Arizona.  I had a great time there earlier this month!  (Thanks for your hospitality, Francelle!)

Again, the pineappleing is in part o the clump, not affecting every fan.  For Francelle, this clump still produced stalks, as you can see in the photo.  However, here in Michigan, I don't recall seeing stalks come from fans that "pineapple" on me.  (I will keep watching those above seedlings, though.)

All Said . . .

The only garden of mine where I see pineappleing this year is where those seedlings are located.  I believe that it was a lack or water combined with a lack of soil nutrients that caused the seedlings in photos 1 & 2 above to show the pineapple effect.

I hope this helps all interested in what "pineappleing" is.  :-)

Oh, and Francelle mentioned that she does not consider it a deadly occurance.  Her irises usually pull out of it, but I think I remember her mentioning that some cultivars will pineapple more than others.

Iristatically yours,
Adam~

Adam Cordes
President - Mio Irisarians