AB: siblings, cousins etc

  • Subject: AB: siblings, cousins etc
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:44:49 -0500

The puzzle of inheritance isn't getting easier. Each row here has a parent
from a 90E14 cross using arilbred pollen parents. The 90E14 cross was
supposed to be Macho Hombre X Koko Knoll. They are TBs in every respect and
I doubted the cross was true. In the subsequent years trying to prove it
one way or the other, I've flip-flopped so many times on my thinking on
them. Because I managed sibling crosses among the 90E14 siblings, I pretty
much had concluded it would be Macho Hombre X unknown TB. The results
didn't yield any AB traits.

But the results using an AB parent puzzle me.

The top row is 90E14-9 X Luella Dee. The one on the far right bloomed
yesterday. Not what I consider typical of the usual TBxAB type. The third
in the row would be typical. Using LD does tend to give more aril presence
as (hopefully), the photo shows in the first two. All these have been poor
growers/survivors. It's taken a long time to see the new bloom.

The middle iris was 90E14-13 X Tatai Pasha. It was the only seed that
germinated, but typical of a TBxAB result. Also the only respectable grower
on the page.

The bottom row is 90E14-16 X Koko Knoll. The one on the far right bloomed
this past weekend. The suggestion of a signal area surprises me using KK as
the pollen parent. I've grown lots of TBxKK seedlings and they tend to look
more like TBs than ABs. The newest one is more typical but even it has some
dark lines shadowing what would be the signal area.

That newest result from Luella Dee pollen just caused a new flop. The plant
itself grows more like a TB though as time has passed it changed to more of
what you see in the quarterbred type foliage. The bloom here shows a lot of
aril influence. Far more than is usual for a TBxAB. I wish I could get
something from them to go one more generation, but that hasn't happened. No
chance to try on the new one today. The wind popped that bloom right off
the stalk this morning which is why I was able to get the bloom photo
without distortion.

Sort of a response to the curious unknown where Sharon made comments about
recessive TBs. Everything causes me doubts. I didn't think so, but now I'm
wondering if I mixed up a plant somehow and the latest is something
altogether different from what it was supposed to be.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image