First Bloom 2009

  • Subject: First Bloom 2009
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 04:25:05 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,
Donald, you were right in that it's still a little early for most irises here [in Maryland] - that's why I haven't been posting any new stuff.
But here's my first for the season, VARDA GORGE, which I think might have been my first to bloom last year too. I was going to get a picture yesterday but the batteries needed replaced in the camera.
In any case, this is a great little bearded species. It's a deeper, more saturated yellow than my picture shows. I think it's a clone of Iris reichenbachiana (or something like that - I always mix it up with the Viola species with a very similar name). It's such a carefree and vigorous little guy that I'm going to have to try some more crosses with it this year.