Re: AB: ULALENA
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: AB: ULALENA
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 02:39:54 -0000

As a garden plant, I do prefer a plant with a good stalk to fan ratio blooming more or less at the same time. I wouldn't like a marigold that only put out a single bloom every 2-3 days and never made the clump. On the other hand, a marigold bloom isn't an iris bloom, so when it comes to an individual bloom there is appreciation for what you call a 'pretty face' even without the clump. Still a less spectacular bloom on a plant that performs well as a clump would take precedence over a stunning individual bloom on a plant that didn't. If I could only take ten iris with me to an island, 9 of the ten would surely be those that make clumps. I look at the blooms, but I also like to see those clumps when I'm mowing the grass or walking in from the pasture or driving down the driveway. The compost pile is interesting this year. Even a discarded AB seedling has managed to make a clump and bloom. I think it was just overrun, but I'm going to have to check it out. Never had an AB manage that situation before. TBs, but not an AB. If I rescue one from the compost pile, it'll be a first :).

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA