AB: guest seedling
  • Subject: AB: guest seedling
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2010 14:43:58 -0500

Is that the correct term for a seedling from someone else? I like growing
other folks' seedlings, but it makes me nervous. In the case of a purchased
iris, an intro you've been given or traded to obtain or my own seedlings, if
they croak under my variable and too often unfriendly conditions or just
exist miserably and don't do well then I don't feel too bad. But in the
case of a guest, you want them to do well and it makes me anxious when the
conditions aren't conducive to seeing them prosper. Here, last year, this
one had stalks when we dropped down into the mid 20's on April 7. It was
the only thing I tried to protect - a wire cage wrapped in paper feed sacks
and then everything covered with a garbage can and weighted down. Didn't
work. The buds stalks quit growing and dried up. So I'm pleased to see the
little fellow blooming today. Here it's small. About 12" tall and a bloom
about 2". Quite attractive to my eye. Came from Paul Archer. There's
another seedling cross from Paul that came at the same time, but I see no
signs that's it's going to make any attempt to bloom. Drat!

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image