Re: AB: a seedling

Oh you're so funny. Since when do seedlings ever bore us!    lol      I like this one!
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 11, 2010 12:28 PM
Subject: [iris-photos] AB: a seedling

I wasn't going to bore everyone posting seedlings this year. I'm being
overrun with new ones. But this one seems interesting enough to post. It's
derived from some of my experimental crosses that have very little to do
with bloom. The cross is ((Friendship x (Rosemohr x Esther, the Queen)) X
Energizer or Babylonian Fires. My notes say 'probably Bab Fires', but I'd
say that was backwards. The pod parent blooms looked like a TB from the
forties - and not a good one, at that. Still my evaluation of the
seedlings, which I treat as a group, was that they were OGB- types due the
growth habits appearance and some little lines around the beards that I see
often with 1st generation TB x AB blooms. The way they set seeds, or rather
didn't and the resulting poor germination supported that evaluation. I
think the appearance of this bloom and of a cousin or half sibling also
supports it. This nor the other are my best seedling blooms, but they are a
staggering improvement over the pod parents. If one could gain this much
ground in just a few of the seedling crop, you'd have something great.
Maybe other parents are just too good for that possibility. I hope the
sound growth habits are retained in these. I see my first pod forming on
the cousin or half-sibling. And despite the wind, they've held up well.
This is the third day for the bottom bloom and second for the top, so
they've had lots of hours being battered.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 7b, USA