arilbreds and the like / RE: Re: TB: I. germanica
  • Subject: arilbreds and the like / RE: Re: TB: I. germanica
  • From: "laura berenson" <lsberenson@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 09:42:57 -0500

Hello all....I'm a mostly lurker who joined last year and posted a few times. I'd love to hear about the experiences with arils, arilbreds, et al. I love the look.... but I understand that they need or at least want dry summers.
I think I have the perfect spot to try some -- in a raised bed with excellent drainage that fronts a south-facing stucco wall of our house and that on one side abuts a stone patio lined with Belgian blocks. The house shields the bed from the usual direction of storms, but much of our property is so wet due to a combo of high water table and underground springs that plants in the lower areas of the bed do quite well without the need to water frequently. I have Florida-hybridized daylilies in the bed, including some of questionable northern hardiness, and they've all come through two winters there just fine.
If I were to try arilbreds, I'd place them in the row in that bed closest to the house, which is both highest (and therefore least affected by the property's water table and springs) and very dry, due to the roof overhang and a large bay window that usually block rain and snow from reaching the row. And of course, I could always increase the drainage in the area if necessary, seeing as how we have several bags of stone grit left over from a patio repair project.
So, I'm thinking irises might do well there -- but which ones is the big question. I'd love to hear from you expert collectors, hybridizers, and growers/sellers which arilbreds you suggest I consider.
Thanks to all ahead of time who help jump start a new gardening addiction. :)
Laura Berenson
Pipersville, PA (app. 45-60 min. north of Philadelphia)