Re: Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
  • From: "Margie Valenzuela" <IrisLady@comcast.net>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 17:14:03 -0700

Linda this happened to me this year too. First time ever - due to a cooler, wetter, and longer winter than most years. Keeping irises in pots indoors anywhere I'm sure would
remedy the situation, except some irises NEED those chilly nights in order to bloom in the first place.

(a different hybridizing problem w/ a similar remedy)
In order to hybridize certain cultivars HERE during our hotter spring days (upper 80's and even over 90 degrees - many days during our bloom season), I have some potted some up in 5 gallon pots. This way I can bring them indoors where it's cooler to hybridize and see that they "take" before putting them back outdoors.

I hope this idea helps you. :-)

~ Margie V.
Oro Valley, AZ.