Re: [iris] Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
  • Subject: Re: [iris] Re: Help: Rhizome/stalk question
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 09:36:15 -0500

Linda, back at the end of August 2007, I rec'd about 50 iris that had been greatly traumatized by being left in Customs for over 3 weeks.  Needless to say, we have since changed our methods of ordering outside Canada, with much better success.
Optimally, I like to receive new iris around the end of July, to give them time to settle in before our harsh winters.
I could smell the iris before I even opened the box.  I gloved up, and gingerly opened the box to find a mostly slimey mass of foliage and rhizomes.  I carefully unpacked the box, and left the iris to dry a bit in the sun while I prepared several containers of 10% bleach solution.  Not all of the rhizomes were hard, but I treated them all anyway, and left them again to dry in the sun.  As their names were written on the foliage, I was unable to read most of them.
When I was about to plant them all the next morning, I noticed my container of perennial Myke, so I gently dipped each rhizome in a bit of water, then into this product that has mycorrhizal fungi which is supposed to help root growth.
About half of them survived that first winter.  A few even bloomed last year, and I was able to id them.  I'm hoping more will bloom this year.
Now, I haven't tried any further experiments w the myke product on irises, but perhaps I should.
Plus, for about the last 10 years, I've swished every new iris, no matter where it comes from, in 10% bleach sol'n.
El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3