Re: Iris Garden Manitoba Style
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Iris Garden Manitoba Style
  • From: smciris@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2010 15:36:22 EDT

In a message dated 4/20/2010 11:53:19 AM Mountain Daylight Time, eleanore@mts.net writes:
Boy, I sure hope mine is I songarica.  When it first bloomed here in 2008, after waiting 7, yes 7, years for it to bloom, I couldn't find any pictures on the internet to compare it to.

It's described as having straplike foliage up to 32" (80 cm). Flowers -lavender-blue to violet.
I'm glad you included a photo of the clump as well as the flower because the plant is sometimes easier to assess.  It's been many years since I grew I. songarica but I'm quite sure it was nothing like yours.   The foliage was quite slender, with the tufted base characteristic of many semi-desert species.  To me, the foliage in your photo appears more like Subgenus Iris than Subgenus Limniris (Mathew).

Both Mathew & Innes describe the leaves as from 1 to 3 cm wide, so a simple measurement might answer some of your questions.

Sharon McAllister