Re: AB: my oddest cross
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: AB: my oddest cross
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 03:40:43 -0000

--- In iris-photos@yahoogroups.com, "Brock Heilman" <brockheilman@...> wrote:

> I do love those smokey tones.

This cross was interesting to see bloom. You could see the effect of Surpassing Yellow in the results. No two were exactly alike, but it wasn't a stretch to see they were siblings. I thought they'd be relatively infertile, so I'm surprised that 4 of 6 are showing pods..

>That wild flat/BC seedling you sent has made two beautiful clumps, but has yet to bloom for me. It just keeps teasing me every time I look at it. I'm still holding out hope that it will bloom this year, but the other ABs are ahead of it, if it is.

You won't be so excited when it blooms, I think! It's later than the earlier ABs as a general rule, so it may bloom yet. Should be peaking when most of the balanced amphidiploids are finishing up.

> There's at least one stalk in that clump of 'Othmani' you sent, but 'Emerald Fantasy' is barely hanging on right beside it. 'Zwanenburg' has two stalks nearly open.

Zwanenburg is always one of the first iris to bloom here. Othmani is usually a week or two behind. Emerald Fantasy has a knack for looking as if it is barely hanging on. Nearly always looks that way here. However, it's been here for years now. Every year I think it will be the last year for it. This year may be the one. It doesn't look happy and didn't bloom. Probably was time to move it last year.

I hope you have a great season. Let me know how the ABs do. It's a hopeful sign you are seeing stalks on them. Enjoy! I've had a really good year for new stuff. Most of it needs tweaking some how or the other but overall I was really pleased. And surprised. I always am.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA