Re: Re: Iris Garden Manitoba Style
  • Subject: Re: Re: Iris Garden Manitoba Style
  • From: "El Hutchison" <eleanore@mts.net>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2010 21:22:19 -0500

Thank you, Donald.

I can't grow everything, although I do try. Over the years, I've had some
successes with out of zone plants, but many failures as well.

I have zone envy, but I see everyone has their own local problems.

A few years back, we had an exceptionally bad spring, with frequent
freeze/thaw cycles. Even established clumps of iris tried to heave
themselves out of the ground. I got a few bags of builder's sand, as that's
all that was available at that time of year, and literally tossed it onto
the iris in the nursery beds. It seemed to help. I'll have to remember to
try that as a real experiment, covering the rhizomes in late fall, perhaps.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3