AB: (LIGHTS OF ARABIA x DESERT EMBROIDERY) X ENERGIZER
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: AB: (LIGHTS OF ARABIA x DESERT EMBROIDERY) X ENERGIZER
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 21:33:02 -0500

My sister-in-law, who has a strong preference for TBs as a general rule,
loved this seedling. Even pointing out that the stalk snaked like a garden
hose having convulsions wasn't a deterrant. I liked the bloom, but this one
had seven siblings bloom and I thought at least five of those had similar
quality on straight stalks with side buds on a branch. I think one or two
or maybe more were blooming, but it was this one that captured her fancy.
It was quirky bloomer. There were only three buds and all were terminal
buds. The bloom here is the second bloom. I've not really seen three
terminal buds in an AB before. The plant had a long period of bloom because
the sequential blooms came after the one in front had completely dried up.
I didn't even realize there was going to be a third bloom in the terminal
until this had thoroughly shriveled away. That bloom didn't bloom until a
week after this was gone. I didn't really think it would get there when I
first saw it because it was so small sandwiched in between the first and
second blooms. It went on to grow and bloom the same as the first two. The
blooms were just about the size of a softball and the stem about 1/2 inch
thick, but still not enough to support that large a bloom. I'll keep it
another year. I'd not expect to see the same behavior again. Usually
blooms downsize the second year and that might prevent the snaking.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA

JPEG image