Re: AB: ARABIAN sUN
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: AB: ARABIAN sUN
  • From: "d7432da" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2011 13:47:58 -0000

I think this year there are multiple perpetrators. During the day the worst is a little hardshelled black beetle about the size and shape of a grain of rice. Buds that are showing color are being eaten into at night. That could well be Japanese beetles, but could also be caterpillars of some sort. Both are plentiful at the moment. The damage may be a secondary function of the drought. Not nearly as many food choices available as normal. Usually this doesn't happen in early and mid-season, but toward the end of bloom season when it turns hot. I don't attempt to grow many late season bloomers for that reason. I'm seeing a lot of insects early that I generally don't see until later. The wind and heat has prevented me from getting any pollen. The stamens are drying without fluffing. With the temps, probably just as well.

Donald