CULT: new toy
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: CULT: new toy
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 16:59:30 -0500

Honda FG 110 mini tiller works amazingly well - I gave up on the big
tiller years ago as too much work with all the rocks. But after hearing
good things about the Honda, I decided to give it a try. I love this
little machine! Light enough that I can hang onto it without hurting
myself when it bounces on a rock, throws most bigger rocks out the back
to the surface making them easy to pick up. And chews into this rocky
mess with no problem. Works great at low or high rpm. Chews thru short
weeds almost without any clogging.

It does indeed get rocks jammed between the tines and the housing, so
there is quite a bit of stopping to extricate them, but not nearly as
much as I expected and no worse than with the big tilller. Much easier
to clear , start, and keep running than the big tiller was when it was
at its best. Plus the tiller carb is apparently designed to keep
running no matter what position it's in - sideways, on its face or
backside. I haven't tried upside down yet. Incredibly easy to start,
which is something I'd heard about it before, but didn't really believe ;-)

Tool kit now consists of two short pieces of round wood - one fat, one
skinny, a 2 lb sledge and a pair of pliers to pull the pin out of the
shaft so the blades can be banged off to get the rock loose.

Photos are of a couple of vacancies that became available in the gravel
rows, worked down to about 10 inches. Once I finish picking up the
rocks and it dries out a little, I will use the Honda to pull the soil
to the middle to make a section of slightly raised bed. Raised bed is
for convenience in weeding - it sure doesn't need better drainage!

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7

JPEG image

JPEG image