Re: HYB: PBF
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: PBF
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2011 05:43:04 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
Thanks! I have a bloom picture somewhere, but can't seem to find it right now. In the meantime, to give you an idea, see this related flower:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/apr08/msg00328.html

and then picture this as a plicata. Now also picture it with that long perianth tube twisting around so that the flowers are usually held sideways and/or even upside down. The clump in flower (in full glory LOL) looks like bad weather or a herd of critters has taken a toll on it.

The foliage color isn't quite as impressive when summer comes, as the newer leaves come out with less color in the heat. But it still has quite a bit of basal color even then.

Thanks also for that feedback on 'Clown Pants'. I REALLY neglected it here, but in spite of that, a few pieces held on. I've put them in a safer place now, away from the smothering shrubs that had almost killed them. Now I need to go rescue some other seedlings in similar danger.

Take care, Tom
Linda Mann wrote:

Very nice Tom. Unless it's a rebloomer, what we see most of the year is
foliage anyway, so regardless of flower form, this is a good one.

Post a picture of the bloom?

What does the color look like in the summer after it's been exposed to
90oF+ temps?

Linda Mann
PS - weather and neglect did its best to kill Clown Pants last year, but
failed ;-) Shrunk the clump, but it's definitely still alive and kicking.