TB: a seedling
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: TB: a seedling
  • From: "Donald Eaves" <donald@eastland.net>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 14:41:21 -0500

Thought Linda Mann might be interested in this result. It's a result of
using one of the 'Schreiner blue' seedlings and the only cross I've ever had
using one of them. There are 19 of these planted and another has a
bloomstalk showing. I didn't expect bloom from any this year, so this is a
nice surprise. These seedlings should have been lined out year before last
and I didn't get space prepared so they spent another year crowded in a 6"
pot and then still didn't get planted until early August last year, which is
not enough time to have expected bloom. These photos are the same bloom
taken from each side. Nice bloom with a problem of having a 'dead edge'
which can be seen best in the top photo. Otherwise the color isn't quite
right. It's sort of a rosy violet. The blue is there, but not as blue as
the photo indicates. I don't like those 'dead edges'. I'm not sure what
causes it - genetics, too dry during bud formation, something lacking in my
soil. They do tend to show up when there is 'lace' in the background.
Since this cross is (Skating Party x Lumiere d'Automne) X the 'Schreiner
blue', the lace is strongly present in LdA. Otherwise I doubt what I'm
seeing in terms of buds, branching, height are going to be typical. Tall
enough, but I think there will be only three buds which is pretty much what
I'm seeing on anything this year. But then I'm seeing more copperheads than
iris blooms this year :(.

Not many are posting here. I hope it's because they are opting to post on
Facebook and not because they are having the kind of dismal season I've had.
Coming to end now almost before it got started. Those few that are still
showing stalks here are late season bloomers that come toward the end of my
bloom season.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 7b, USA