HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:49:44 -0700 (PDT)

Well, the very first iris bloom opened yesterday here. It was a hybrid (can't remember the direction for this particular seedling) between Iris pupureobractea and a seedling of mine I call "PBF/RM".

You can see pictures of each of the parents at these links:

Iris purpureobractea
http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-species/may08/msg00048.html

"PBF/RM"
http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may07/msg00055.html

I thought it was interesting how each parent nearly canceled out the primary pigment of the other leaving a washed out combination of pale purple and pale yellow. I wonder how much variation the siblings and reverse cross seedlings will show. Stay tuned, more maiden stalks are on the way!

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg