Re: Standard Dwarf Bearded is not a Median???
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Standard Dwarf Bearded is not a Median???
  • From: Jean Richter <richter@eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:58:22 -0700

That MIS web page is a bit inconsistent (or at least confusing) -
It states:

Median – All bearded iris classes (SDBs, IBs, BBs, and MTBs) shorter
than 27.5"

Why were MDBs and aril-meds left off of the list?

In our club, we circumvent the median definition problem by giving out a
trophy to the best "bearded other than tall" - thought this isn't
strictly a median award, as regular arils & arilbreds are eligible
as well...

Jean

On 4/20/2011 12:24 PM, John I Jones wrote:

> According to the MIS (Median Iris Society) website Medians are defined
> as ALL bearded irises Sorter than 27.5 " which would also include MDBs.
> See http://www.medianiris.com/glossary1.shtml
>
> Which definition is also concurrent with The World Of Irises
> classifications, pp121-178
>
> John
> On Apr 20, 2011, at 10:16 AM, Tom Gormley wrote:
>
>> Hi Janet,
>>
>> An AIS Judge really ought to know better. The Median class consists of:
>> SDB's
>> MTB's
>> IB's
>> BB's
>> It's possible the person in question was thinking of MDB's (dwarf)
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:06 PM, AIS Janet Smith <gbyp456@gmail.com
>> <mailto:gbyp456@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>

>>     Hello all,
>>     Fresno Iris Society had their spring show last Saturday. Small but
>>     considering all the weather we have had close to 100 irises
>>     showing is not bad. Bill Tyson's seedling won best of show, a nice
>>     looking pink aril (forgot if it was bred or med.)
>>     One of the judges said our schedule was wrong! SDBs are not
>>     medians and should not be classed as such.
>>     Now I really am confused and thought I would ask the question
>>     here. Are SDBs in with the IBs and BBs as a median?????
>>     She could not find it in the judges handbook either - I asked her
>>     to show me where it was so stated.
>>     Janet Smith
>>     AIS Slides
>>     Photo Contest
>>     Photo Coordinator
>>     HIPS Slide Preservation
>>

>> --
>> Tom Gormley
>> P. O. Box 177, De Leon Springs, FL 32130
>> Phone & Fax-386-277-2057
>> gormleygreenery@gmail.com <mailto:gormleygreenery@gmail.com>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional