Re: HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
  • Subject: Re: HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
  • From: Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mymts.net>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 17:18:20 -0500

Very nice, Tom.  I can't tell from the photo if it has pbf too.
El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3

Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2011 2:49 PM

Well, the very first iris bloom opened yesterday here. It was a hybrid (can't remember the direction for this particular seedling) between Iris pupureobractea and a seedling of mine I call "PBF/RM".

You can see pictures of each of the parents at these links:

Iris purpureobractea

I thought it was interesting how each parent nearly canceled out the primary pigment of the other leaving a washed out combination of pale purple and pale yellow. I wonder how much variation the siblings and reverse cross seedlings will show. Stay tuned, more maiden stalks are on the way!