Re: Standard Dwarf Bearded is not a Median???
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Standard Dwarf Bearded is not a Median???
  • From: Jean Richter <richter@eecs.berkeley.edu>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:37:44 -0700

Righteous indignation about judicial knowledge aside,
the fact remains that "median" is used in imprecise ways
all the time. Look at El's comment that "my collection
is mainly medians and dwarfs." I know what she means,
but the official MIS description of median apparently
includes all dwarfs as well (even MDBs), so why make the distinction?
Tom Gormley lists medians as SDBs, MTBs, IBs, and BBs,
contradicting what's on the MIS web site.

What I always thought of as "median" in popular
parlance (SDB, IB, BB, and MTB) is at odds with
at least some of the "official" definitions, and
that creates confusion.

Jean