Re: Re: HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
  • Subject: Re: Re: HYB: First bloom (a maiden) purpureobractea hybrid
  • From: Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mymts.net>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 10:09:28 -0500

Morning Tom and all.
Now, of course I remember seeing your seedling back in March.  Thanks for refreshing my memory.
A few weeks ago, we were having temps consistently above 10C, so the iris were looking pretty good, coming out of winter.  Since then, the temps have been below 0C at night, plus a few mornings with frost, which is what kills plants.  Still, many iris are looking really good, although most bearded are only an inch or 2 tall so far.  I'm pleased with all the spuria I moved last fall, plus all the new ones are looking good too.  I tried Gerald Darby and I virginica shrevi last fall as well, and they're looking good too.  There's even a Japanese iris, newly planted last summer, that's coming up.  No sign of the other 5 as yet though it's early yet for them.
All in all, most of the garden is starting to realize it's spring.  Thanks for asking, Tom.
El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3

Sent: Thursday, April 21, 2011 7:01 AM

Hi El,
Thanks! I especially like the vigor I'm seeing in this particular batch of seedlings. Apparently purpureobractea "nicks" well with that heavily pallida derived hybrid of mine.

And yes this seedling does have PBF - this is actually the same seedling that I'd posted picture of early in March showing the vigorous broad foliage and PBF.

Here's a link to what this one looked like at that time:

So are you getting any signs of growth yet up there or are the irises still holding back?

Thank again.
Take care, Tom

Very nice, Tom. I can't tell from the photo if it has pbf too.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3