Re: HYB: American Sweetheart
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: American Sweetheart
  • From: Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mymts.net>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 11:58:30 -0500

Those seedlings sure look strong, so I'll cross everything that you get the results you're hoping for.  I'll have to go take a closer look at Honky Tonk Blues, as I don't recall pbf.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3

Sent: Monday, April 25, 2011 6:25 AM
Subject: [iris-photos] HYB: American Sweetheart

The outdoor seeds are starting to germinate and I thought I'd post this batch that I'm especially excited to see.
'American Sweetheart' hasn't been the easiest of pod-setters for me just like Donald Eaves had warned, but I managed to convince it last year by using pollen from an aphylla hybrid seedling. And even better... that seedling was the one I'd posted last May because it had nicely pigmented stems.

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may10/msg00679.html

So... I'm hoping that at least one of these newly germinating babies will combine the strongly purple based foliage (of both 'Honky Tonk Blues' and 'American Sweetheart') with the purplish-black stems of that aphylla 'Balascuta' hybrid.