Re: Seedlings_2
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Seedlings_2
  • From: Betty Wilkerson <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 15:16:32 -0400 (EDT)

Not from this cross.  My understanding is that HOM doesn't contain the genes for orange.  However, the seedlings from this cross should contain orange genes.

<<Were you hoping for some orange? >>

I grew/grow a variety of orange irises and knew that Hager's orange introductions contain rebloom genes.  The day I made that cross, there were five or six orange irises in bloom.  Gratuity had the deepest saturation of color.  This was the basis for my selection.  Fringe Benefits had given rebloom when I was in Alvaton and I'd planned to use it, but it was not in bloom at that time.

Orange rebloomers don't exist here.  (Amanda Erin has been fussy and has finally opened for the first time in years--in the rain) I will take shorter orange carriers rather than no carriers.  I'd hoped the height would strike a happy medium between the two.  Gratuity does bloom a little short, but blooms much taller than FB.
The other seedling I posted is from Cordoba (a CA rebloomer) and Summer Radiance (repeat and fall rebloom) which has an orange parent.  Most of the children are orange and have red beards.  Maybe there will still be pollen when the rains stop?

Betty W.