Re: HYB: Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 12:43:56 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Adam,
Funny that you mention that bluish cast... I had almost posted a second picture that I took specifically because I was trying to capture that odd cast. In particular I had noticed the style arms which were definitely gray instead of the rusty-purplish color that often times comes from purple/yellow blending.
The picture isn't a great one, but maybe you can see what I mean anyway.
I've been trying to remember to check seedling style arms for color ever since I started noticing a few aqua tinted ones.
And I'm hoping that this won't be a bloomout for that fan but there are three other fans of this seedling that I'd separated when I put it in the ground late last summer. One of the other siblings from this same cross had sent up a late Fall bloom (I have a picture of it sticking up through an early snow) and that single fan is now sending up two increases, so there's hope for this little guy.
As for the henbit, I'll take that weed anyday over the bindweed and Canada thistle that have been bugging teh heck outta me the last couple of years. Boy those two are toughies!
Thanks and take care, Tom

Hey Tom!

TWO things . . . yes, that is a REALLY tiny iris, but I like it's bluish cast to the rosy colors! Is there enough increase there, or is it going to bloom out on ya?

The other thing is, I was weeding last night and wondered what on earth I was trying to rip out of the ground . . . thanks to that little glimpse of a weed in your photo, I see I was pulling henbit. ! Another mystery solved! Now if I could only find my records . . .

Adam~

image/pjpeg