Re: HYB: Influential parents (was Dusky Grape X Romantic Evening)
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Influential parents (was Dusky Grape X Romantic Evening)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 06:21:41 -0400

I really do miss Neil M. He sure was in the know about which new and
upcoming introductions were going to be influential that way and so
generous with sharing that info. Fogbound was another one he said was
in that category. They may not grow for us, but their kids do, and the
upgrade they give is impressive. if we can keep them alive long enough
to get pollen.

No idea what's out there now that might qualify. You got any insider
info? Know anybody who does who might not post but might share ideas
offlist or by phone?

Maybe Adoree? It's another one that doesn't look very healthy here, but
my goodness, totally bright and different colors. Maybe Treasured?

I'm gradually getting better at recognizing various parental influences,
both good and bad. Tea Leaves is a problem parent for sure, but does
seem to have strong rebloom genes.

<Maybe we should come up with an award for irises like 'Romantic
Evening' & 'Decadence' that have (forever) effected the colors &
patterns of our modern irises? I'm getting really good at spotting
their influence.>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7 sky is getting light - will be able to
inspect the damage soon.