Re: HYB: Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • Subject: Re: HYB: Iris variegata X suaveolens var. rubromarginata
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 04:32:01 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks Brock!
Something I think that I'm just starting to really appreciate... is how much Iris variegata brings to the table in crosses. In all honesty, I'm not particularly drawn to Iris variegata itself, but I have to admit that it's the tops for neutralizing some common shortcomings of other species.
In this case, although Iris suaveolens is cute in its own species kind of way... the falls are a little "underwhelming". They're VERY narrow and tuck underneath. Iris variegata gives the hybrid's falls at least a little bit of extra width and also some much appreciated "flare" so that they can actually be seen. I've seen Iris variegata bring this same form-improving, compensating effect to hybrids with Iris pallida. I'm thinking that this contribution (to the modern iris genepool) may have been less acknowledged but has been just as profound as any of the other contributions typically assigned to Iris variegata (yellow color, tangerine factor, branching, etc.).
I'm expecting these four siblings are going to be some really fun breeders!
Thanks and best wishes, Tom

I'm usually a sucker for ruffly things, but this one certainly has charm!