Re: SPEC: Tom Silver seedling
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: SPEC: Tom Silver seedling
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2012 07:02:07 -0400

That's what I get these days trying to rely on memory!

It was nearly 90 again here yesterday, so far, not inspired to attempt
daubing pollen on anything in this heat. Main daubing season for me has
always been late April, early May - this year, I doubt anything will
still be in bloom then. Poor baby seedlings that I've lined out are
frying, esp now that it's turned dry and windy. Always try to get them
in the ground <before> it turns hot and dry, but looks like this year,
that would have had to be in Feb!

What would you like to see me do with it, Tom?

Did the sibs from the cross have the same healthy foliage? Just
wondering how homozygous for disease tolerance it might be. The super
health of IMM gets diluted fast by crossing it with fancier things. hint
back to you - IMM x aphylla ;-)

<You're very close! ;0) Iris junonia was the pollen parent of the other
seedling I sent. ['Honky Tonk Blues' X junonia]
The one in your picture is 'Rosalie Figge' X aphylla 'Wine Red' and the
foliage is amazingly clean here too. I was just comparing it yesterday
to a different nearby F1 aphylla hybrid and the difference in leaf
spotting was dramatic again this year. It doesn't make any pollen here,
but sets seeds pretty readily [hint, hint]
Hope you have a great daubing season!

Linda Mann east TN