Re: Is this iris nutrient deficient?
  • Subject: Re: Is this iris nutrient deficient?
  • From: birdwoman424@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 19:00:51 -0400 (EDT)

In a message dated 4/8/2012 5:46:21 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, billchaney@ymail.com writes:

I am a retired entomologist, turned iris breeder, and I spent a 20 year career trying to find ways to control aphids. There are a number of biological controls that can be effective, but for any biological control to work, a population of aphids must be tolerated before the control works.  Ladybugs and green lacewings are your best bets for biological controls that can be purchased, but naturally occurring populations of beneficial insects are always best, but somewhat unreliable.

The good news is that there is an effective insecticide on the market that is much safer that disyston.  The product is imidacloprid.  Look for it in the active ingredient list. It is systemic and quite effective on aphids. Always read and follow label directions, but I have used it with great success.