Re: Is this iris nutrient deficient?
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Is this iris nutrient deficient?
  • From: sdayres2@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 19:16:08 -0400 (EDT)

John, Bill:

Thanks for the information.  I just attended a briefing on beneficial insects.  It mentioned some wasps kill aphids.  He suggested letting them say if the wasp nests aren't close to the house.    I found a wasp nest that appeared  to be inactive.  Tapping, stronger tapping and then cutting the nest loose from a bush near the window allowed me to reposition it to the back  of the yard.  I was ready to flee if any wasp appeared.  I don't know if the wasps hibernate over the winter of if it was just empty.

Don't want to kill the honey bees since I have fruit trees.  I think I will try spraying irises with lemon dish soap (Dana's advice).  Now the problem is that I just bought a Bayer product that has imidacloprid before I read the wikipedia article.  I have borers (or is it japanese beetles) that are killing my trees.  They are very bad.  Apple, Peachcot, Pear have all succumbed.  I am seeing it in the other trees as well.  Even the Pecan shows some signs of investation.   I had someone sprayed for years but it didn't save my Peachcot.  That was a wonderful tree and fruit.  I may have to use Bayer for the trees and soap for the irises.

Scarlett

P.S the below picture is from 2006.  I don't see a strong infestation this year.