Re: Re: SPEC: Tom Silver seedling
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: Re: SPEC: Tom Silver seedling
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2012 03:20:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Linda,
Sorry I'm so slow in replying.
Unfortunately there weren't any sibs. But in general, it seems that most half-aphylla seedlings here get at least some leaf spotting unless it's a particularly good year. Actually some of the half-aphylla seedlings are among THE WORST for being spotty here. So, I'm wondering if ROSALIE FIGGE might have been the key "anti-spot" factor in that cross. I don't have RF any more to be able to check it for leaf spots.

As for good partners to match it with... I'm not sure. But, I would bet that it could be useful if you're looking to breed for health and rebloom, especially if you're looking for dark/intense pigmentation (reds and purples). Actually, now that you've got me thinking about it, I think pollen from a yellow rebloomer would be a lot of fun to try on it. I'm imagining it might give some healthy reddish rebloomers???

I haven't done much of anything with it [been too busy with other projects] but I do have a small batch of open pollinated seed germinating in the crisper as we speak. I guess I should give those sprouts a chance, if I get a free minute to throw them into some dirt.
Take care, Tom

Linda Mann wrote:
That's what I get these days trying to rely on memory!

It was nearly 90 again here yesterday, so far, not inspired to attempt
daubing pollen on anything in this heat. Main daubing season for me has
always been late April, early May - this year, I doubt anything will
still be in bloom then. Poor baby seedlings that I've lined out are
frying, esp now that it's turned dry and windy. Always try to get them
in the ground <before> it turns hot and dry, but looks like this year,
that would have had to be in Feb!

What would you like to see me do with it, Tom?

Did the sibs from the cross have the same healthy foliage? Just
wondering how homozygous for disease tolerance it might be. The super
health of IMM gets diluted fast by crossing it with fancier things. hint
back to you - IMM x aphylla ;-)

<You're very close! ;0) Iris junonia was the pollen parent of the other
seedling I sent. ['Honky Tonk Blues' X junonia]
The one in your picture is 'Rosalie Figge' X aphylla 'Wine Red' and the
foliage is amazingly clean here too. I was just comparing it yesterday
to a different nearby F1 aphylla hybrid and the difference in leaf
spotting was dramatic again this year. It doesn't make any pollen here,
but sets seeds pretty readily [hint, hint]
Hope you have a great daubing season!

Linda Mann east TN