HYB: Two Glaciata Volunteers
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: Two Glaciata Volunteers
  • From: thomas silvers <tesilvers@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 06:28:01 -0700 (PDT)

Here are two volunteer seedlings that are revertants back to their glaciata (recessive white) grandparent Iris pallida 'Kupari'. I like the clean, bright, white of these glaciatas and the candy-sweet fragrance doesn't hurt any either! I don't much care for the growth habit of the first one, but maybe I'll give it a chance to show what it'll look like as a clump. The second one is more robust and upright and has a stronger fragrance too. It also has strongly purple-pigmented foliage bases (PBF). The flower in the close-up picture has wide open standards but it hasn't looked this way until today.
Both of these seedlings no doubt have 'Kupari' on both sides of their family tree. From their locations, the first seedling is likely from a dropped seed from (the F1 seedling) 'Kupari' X 'Consumation'; the second from dropped seed of (the F1 seedling) 'Kupari' X 'Rosemary's Dream'.

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg

image/pjpeg