Re: HYB: evaluating seedlings
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: HYB: evaluating seedlings
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2012 10:02:38 -0400

Thanks Betty ;-) You have any miserable excuses for seedling bloom to
share? Misery loves company. Want to see more? Maybe it would be more
appropriate to make FB photo albums of maiden bloom for this year,
titled something like 'iris horrors'. ;-)

Yes, Adam, it has been extremely depressing. But I've been remembering
the last couple of days how spectacular bloom has been here for the past
few years, especially last year, when the field was so full of bloom,
the fragrance was noticeable as I walked out the door. It may never be
like that here again, but wow, it was worth the decade of work for that
experience!

Unfortunately, these past 3 years have given me the opportunity to work
some less freeze tolerant, and, especially, earlier blooming genes into
the mix. I think I'm seeing a lot of that influence this year. The
seedlings from the 2007 freeze of necessity have less of those genes.
They are starting to bloom and most have managed to at least keep from
aborting stalks, tho all so far are pretty messed up.

This year has me dreaming of a fleet of carts and a carport with
temporary heat and plastic covered walls to put pots in for untimely
freezes.... Maybe with overhead watering system. ;-)

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b