Re: HYB: another freeze survivor
  • Subject: Re: HYB: another freeze survivor
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2012 06:56:02 -0400

Took me awhile to figure out what you meant from the photos, but you
like the rounder form on the falls, not just the haft width, right?
Less length for the width?

Griff, do you have some favorites for breeding wider/rounder falls? So
far, the only thing I've tried that 'shortens' the falls much is
FOGBOUND. TREASURED to a lesser extent.

Did you have some suggestions of things that <rebloom early> for you
that have broader, more ruffled form? Rebloom on freeze tolerant
healthy plants is the main thing I was trying for this year. The most
recent one to open doesn't have the foliar health, but at least buds
managed to survive being frozen, unlike most of the rest of the field.

Trying to upgrade form is probably not going to be possible this year -
not much to work with, & you are probably right - even the double dose
of TREASURED in the cross probably won't do it.

<In my experience, this one would probably only give you a modicum of
increased breadth, and, with no more ruffling, would leave you with an
iris little changed in form from the seedling that you have. I would go
for a cross with much broader, rounder, flared and ruffled falls. I
think it takes a fairly radical difference in the cross to get an
appreciable change in the shape of the progeny. Iâve attached a few
examples. -- Griff>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b