Re: HYB: pigments (was another seedling)
  • Subject: Re: HYB: pigments (was another seedling)
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 07:32:12 -0400

Thanks, Chuck - all these discussions of pigments, info you've shared
with us, but I never picked up that purple has yellow pigment. Makes
sense of some of the seedling colors for me.

<Combinations of yellow (alpha-carotene in most cases) with
anthocyanin blue can give a range of colours. Browns, reds and purples
are most likely.

The hot water test will take out water soluble anthocyanin leaving
oil soluble cartenoids pigments.

Purple is always a combination, as is brown and red. Without yellow
you get various shades of blue.

Richest browns are a combination of lycopene (pink) with
anthocyanin blue.

Chuck chapman>

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b