HYB: fertility of horrors
iris-photos@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: HYB: fertility of horrors
  • From: Linda Mann <lmann@lock-net.com>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:51:42 -0400

Hard freeze here was the night of Apr 12, some minor frost before &
after, minor frost the following week.

On stalks that weren't killed (>90% were), the first normal blooms
started opening on Apr 25. These were all on crosses that were the few
pods I was able to get after the 2007 freeze, or were on older plants in
the yard near the house where they had some protection.

Several pods are developing from crosses made on the 25th. So far, I
think this and one pod that looks a bit messed up on IMM, are the only
ones made on freeze damaged blooms that took.

Thought I'd share this for those who wondered about fertility of freeze
damaged blooms.

Pollen seems to be ok now, tho not getting the 'normal' wonderful heaps
of fluffy stuff.

Linda Mann east TN USA zone 7b

JPEG image