Re: Iris unguicularis 'Walter Butt'

  • Subject: Re: [iris-photos] Iris unguicularis 'Walter Butt'
  • From: "Harold Peters" <harold@directcon.net>
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 05:04:19 -0700

There are three different levels of concern about making an significant
decisions about color.
First, what anyone of us sees on a color monitor is at best an approximation
of the real color.
Second, iris colors may not be consistent within the same garden but are
almost assured to be different in different climates, different soils,
different daylight, etc.
Third, you could have two people standing side by side looking at the same
bloom and they would describe it so differently that you would swear at
least one was absolutely crazy. Color blindness comes in a number of forms
and unless there is a significant safety problem, no one cares. However the
reality is that color perception is not uniform between all individuals.
Then you can compound the perception problem with the errors introduced by
using words to describe shades of color.
And then if you want to get picky, it may be that a sib seedling that is
very close to the named seedling is also circulating under the same name.

Harold Peters
Beautiful View Iris Garden
2048 Hickok Road
El Dorado Hills, CA 95762