Re: Iris unguicularis and web colours

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: Iris unguicularis and web colours
  • From: voltaire@islandnet.com
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:53:59 -0000

You're right that comparing pictures is difficult.  When I set up a
webpage, I turn on all the computers here, some Macs, some
Windows, using different browsers,  to see how my choice of
colours will look , and it is amazing how different the website
looks on them all.  Even looking at actual photographs isn't
foolproof either because of the different ways films record colour.

The best way to compare plants is to have them growing
together.  There are two collections of Iris unguicularis in the
National Council for the Conservation of Plants and Gardens in
the UK.  Collection holders grow as many plants as they can,
and try to sort out misnamed ones.  Some then write small
booklets, but I don't think one has been written on iris yet.

R.D. Nutt, Great Barfield, Bradenham,
High Wycombe, Bucks HP4 4HD
has 16 cvs

Ann Ala, Hall Farm
Weatheroak Hill, Nr Alvechurch,
Birmingham, B48 7EG
has 25 cvs of I. unguicularis and I lazica

They might be willing to compare descriptions and suggest
whether there is a seedling being sold as a named cultivar.  A
detailed description of the entire plant, not just the flower, might
allow an identification by mail.

Diane Whitehead,  Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate
who grows the unnamed unguicularis that has been passed
from garden to garden here.