Re: another sdlg sibling

  • Subject: [iris-photos] Re: another sdlg sibling
  • From: "donald" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sun, 03 Aug 2003 17:06:16 -0000

Hello Bill,

> Did this edge contain a metalic glint? You need to take a hard
look a
> crossing this seedling with Merle Roberts' WIDDERSHINS.

Nope.  Looked like dead plant tissue with no redeeming quality.  I
did think it interesting.  It's a trait I think can be attractive.
All the sibling seedlings in theis color range had the edge, but
none of the yellows, pinks, tans or pale orange ones had it.  As a
trait, it would seem to be something that is out there recently.
Looking at Sandy's postings from the convention all the following
seem to display something similar to this kind of edging - only they
all looked good!

SLOVAK PRINCE (Mego '03)
LET'S BE FRIENDS (Christopherson '02)
VAPOR (Ghio '02)
VOODOO CHILD (Schreiners '02)
CAJUN COOKING (Rogers '00)
SARGENT PRESTON (Chapman '00)
BERMUDA TRIANGLE (Cadd '00)
SPIRIT WORLD (Keppel '92)
DUDE (KEPPEL '02) - an IB

WIDDERSHINS might work pretty well any of these.  The number of
hybridizers cover a pretty good number.  My problem with working
with what this sibling shows is that I'm trying to work with
arilbreds and don't want to get sidetracked doing too many TB
crosses.  Plus, this group is not especially willing to set pods and
even less willing to germinate the seeds when I do get a pod.  This
group has proven to be reliable with bloom and strong growers, so
I've tried to work with them.  Compared to what I grow, they're good
plants.

Donald Eaves
donald@eastland.net
Texas Zone 8, USA