[PHOTO] QUITE QUAINT | Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:18:21" />

  • Subject: [PHOTO] [iris-photos] QUITE QUAINT
  • From: "Donald Eaves" donald@eastland.net
  • Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 09:15:38 -0500

One of many reasons why I hate this time of year.  This typical of nearly
all the TBs or any other iris that doesn't go dormant.  It's the grasshopper
effect.  It wasn't a bad year for them hereabouts.  This is probably an
average year.  Last year was the worst I've ever seen and hope never to see
again.  Some are eaten worse than this clump, but few fared any better.  Sad
for the iris, but they manage to survive better than a lot of plants.  Some
tough plants under most circumstances don't survive this kind of damage.
It's a problem they seldom have in town, but is seemingly an insurmountable
one in a rural setting.  After three years of trying, I have some friends
who have now quit trying to establish Yaupon holly and monkey grass.  They
are fullproof plants in town, but a banquet for the 'hoppers in the country.

Donald Eaves
Texas Zone 8, USA